Parish Notes

Parish Notes

From Vestry Minutes

1848      The Guardians were instructed to enforce the Law compelling sons to maintain their parents where they are able to.

1896      The committee marked their strong disapproval to the very bad habit of some parents keeping their grown up daughters at home instead of placing then out in honourable service.  (20% of working women at this time in Godstone were in domestic service).

From Parish Minutes

Parish Council formed in 1895

1907      Expressed strong disapproval of the new Girls School at Whyteleafe.  They considered there was too much ‘over education’.

1909      Petition received from residents for restraint of the speed of motor cars which was causing great discomfort to those living near the roads.

1920      Letter sent to Surrey County Council requesting the Chief Constable to investigate the reckless driving and speeding through the village.

1927      P.C. wrote to M.O.T. asking, due to increased traffic, for an early construction of a North-South bypass (opened 1983).

1946      P.C. took over local open spaces from the ownership of the Greenwell.

1947      Family (Lords of the Manor) who moved to Suffolk from Marden Park.  Areas include The Green, Hilly Fields, Tilburstow Common among others.

1960      One-way system around ‘The Island’ was introduced.

1965      Plans from bypass approved.

1975      M25 Godstone to Reigate Hill opened.

1979      M25 Godstone to Sevenoaks opened.

1983      North-South Godstone Bypass opened.

1987      Hurricane uproots ’21 trees on Godstone Green.

1992      P.C. acquires Hilly Fields.

1993      Restoration of Pond on the Green completed.

Best Kept Village Awards

Winners in: 1978, 1979, 1981, 1984, 1988, 1991 and 1992.